There are many reasons people avoid going to the doctor. Usually this is linked to a medical condition or illness. There are those health issues, like anal or genital problems, that most people don't want to discuss with a doctor. However, there are other reasons not to see a doctor:
Some people are afraid that the doctor will not take them seriously. You don't want to interrupt the doctor's busy schedule with problems like bad breath or sweaty feet.
Another reason why people prefer not to see a doctor is the fear of medical tests. Some people are afraid of pain or don't want to undress at the doctor's.
Another one of the reasons why there is a fear of visiting a doctor are intimate problems. Some people find it difficult to talk to a doctor about their intimate issues without blushing or stuttering.
Fear of going to the doctor can also be caused by a negative experience in the past, when the mere thought of a doctor makes you nervous and anxious.
What health issues would we rather not discuss with a doctor?
In the doctor's office, patients are often reluctant to discuss the following topics:
- Sexual problems, such as loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, or possible STDs. These issues top the list of "embarrassing" health problems. And this is the worst, because these problems are usually highly treatable. In addition, the earlier treatment for STDs is started, the lower the risk of long-term problems.
- Intestinal problems, such as haemorrhoids, gas or constipation. Many complaints in the area of the gastrointestinal tract can be avoided by eating high-fiber foods. You should drink plenty of water. The fiber draws water into the intestines, so dehydration can develop if you don't drink enough water. If you experience persistent or severe side effects, or notice symptoms such as blood in your stools, you should make an appointment with your doctor right away.
- Disorders of the urinary tract, such as stress urinary incontinence. This type of incontinence is common and can be caused by a weak pelvic floor or prostate problems. In most cases, the problem can be treated easily. Therefore, the patient should see a doctor as soon as possible.
- Vaginal yeast infection: Vaginal problems are still a taboo topic for many people. Sometimes the problem goes away on its own, but in some cases a doctor's visit is necessary.
How to overcome fear of doctors? Tips for visiting the family doctor
Do not delay the doctor's visit. Most health problems can be solved. In some cases, delaying medical care can even put your health at risk. How can you get rid of the fear of visiting the doctor? Here are some tips!
- Before you see a doctor, find the medical term for your problem. Often medical terms are much less sensitive, making it easier to talk about the health issue. For example, the medical term for the fart is "flatulence." An unpleasant odor from the mouth is called "Halitosis".
- Remember that doctors are not embarrassed about what topic you are talking about. For them, smelly feet and inner labia asymmetry are just as normal as warts and headaches.
- At the beginning of the consultation, tell your doctor that you find it difficult and embarrassing to talk about your health problem. This can help ease your anxiety somewhat and give the doctor a chance to put your mind at ease.
From the category: Where, how and what drugs to buy?
Last updated on 24.05.2022